Words 8 1. Nouns ( ) God, man, John, American, friend, star, stone, air, mile, beauty 2. Pronouns ( ) I, you, he, she, my, your, his, that, who, what, which, one, some
3. Adjectives ( ) noun pronoun noun pronoun adjective - Qualifier Adjectives beautiful, healthy, kind, poor, fast, dry, black
4. Verbs ( ) go, take, fight, speak, sleep, wait - Finite Verbs - Non-finite Verbs (Verbals)
5. Adverbs ( ) well, fast, long, gently, recently, again, yesterday, soon, rather, perhaps, not verb, adverb, adjective, preposition, conjunction, phrase, sentence
6. Prepositions ( ) at, in, into, of, for
7. Conjunctions ( ) and, but, or, nor, that, if, because conjunction
8. Interjections ( ) oh, alas, hurrah
verb noun adverb preposition
Look at that. (Look = verb) Let me have a look at that. (look = noun)
Walk: He walked all the way here. (walked = verb) He is taking a walk. (walk = noun)
In: Is John in? (in = adverb) In the house. (In = preposition)
Singular & Plural 10
The rich The poor ** ** The majority in this country are rich. People are waiting for help from the government.
Singular & Plural s
** ** Divorce statistics has been increasing since 1990. 1990 News about the end of the world is spreading quickly.
(Parts of speech) 8
(Nouns) 2 proper nouns common nouns
2 proper nouns common nouns Proper nouns (capital letter) Mrs. Kitaya Sriri, Mr. Alvarez, Mr. Narong, Thailand, Bangkok, Buriram , Sukhothai Thammathirat University, September, Monday
Common nouns people, goodwill, team, table, subject, ministry, weekdays, knowledge common nouns (compound nouns) editor in chief, son-in-law, board of directors 3 countable nouns, uncountable nouns collective nouns
Countable nouns ( ) one book (two books), a child (three children), a friend (some friends) This letter was signed by the Director. The visit was successful and paved ways to many new collaborative projects.
Adjustments can be made as needed. Organizations sometimes provide guidelines for effective participation in international meetings.
Uncountable nouns ( ) ( one, two, three, etc.) ( wood, iron) ( water, milk, coffee) ( air, oxygen, hydrogen) ( powder, flour, milk) ( swimming, exercising, living, boxing) ( love, hate, fear, passion) ( astronomy, science and technology, geography, history, economics, finance) ( goodness, kindness, friendship, virtue, childhood, knowledge, information, advice) ( furniture, luggage, baggage, money, traffic, pay, accommodation, music, meat)
Accommodation will be provided for all delegates. three cups of coffee/tea/news/ information/luggage company company/companies
company company/companies Collective nouns (groups) committee, audience, community, jury, tribe The committee meets at 9 a.m. today to consider the proposal.
(2) s, x, z, sh, ch es
(3) y y (a, e, i, o u) s
** ** (proper nouns) y y y i es
(4) o s e s e s
(5) f fe f fe v es s
(6) en ( ren)
: thanks, scissors, pants, trousers, binoculars, belongings : news, athematics, headquarters, acoustics, mumps, billiards, physics
(10) (Compound nouns)
(Suffixes) (Noun suffixes) suffixes ation ( taxation, organization, explanation), -ment ( government, entertainment), -y ( honesty), -ity ( sincerity, rapidity, diversity), -ness ( awareness, happiness, sadness) suffixes
- The policy will be implemented in July. - We received your confirmation last week. - We have sent your representatives the itineraries as requested. (representatives itineraries )
- Our Prime Minister went to Japan last week. - (subject complement) Mr. Pipattanachai became president of Siam Association. - (object complement) The members elected George Robinson their leader