1. can be viewed as a system which operates under the principle that education is a shared responsibility and accountability among school community stakeholders.
2. BASIC CONCEPTS RELATED TO SCHOOL GOVERNANCE A sustainable governance structure in school should produce stable and effective leadership which underpins achievement of the schools objectives and which is sensitive to guarding the vision and values of the past, while being responsive to changes in community values and the preferences of the immediate stakeholders.
3. EXTERNAL INTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS STAKEHOLDERS COMPOSITION OF SCHOOL GOVERNING COUNCILS 1. Various govt agencies 2. Non-govt agencies 1. Students & 3. Civic & social organizations students organization 4. Alumni 2. Parents of students 5. Parents of Alumni 3. Parents association 6. Retirees, Professionals in the school 7. Basic Sectors (buss., fisher folks, farmers, IPs, Cultural minorities and others)
4. PURPOSE OF THE SCHOOL GOVERNING COUNCIL Provides a forum for parents, students, teachers, community stakeholders and the school head to work together towards continuously improving student learning outcomes. Provide opportunity and environment to develop shared responsibility in the childrens learning Encourage and facilitate effective community stakeholders participation in school improvement process.
5. In this Model of Governance: The cooperative role of the school governing council and school staff is emphasized. Management and governance are clearly separated The focus is on improving student learning outcomes The broad definitions are set and monitored by the council The school head and the staff are responsible for reporting progress of SIP implementation to the School Governing Council.
6. Mission Statement of the School Governing Council Communicates the ground of its existence Conveys the reason of its existence The clientele it wishes to serve What the council intends to produce with reference to the school vision.
7. Sample School Governing Council Mission Statement The School Governing Council of ______________________________ National High School seeks to collaboratively work with school staff and the entire school community in incorporating learning resources into the improvement processes of the school to ensure continuous enhancement of student learning outcomes.
8. Guiding Principles for the School Governing Council Inclusive - ensures that all voices in the school community are heard and all perspective are taken into the account in the school processes. Respectful recognizes differences among its constituents and appreciates all viewpoints Trustworthy conducts its operation in an open and transparent manner Responsible strives to respond to the needs and aspirations of the community they serve Effective continuously makes a difference in their students learning Committed commits to fulfill their role as a link in school level governance
9. Indicators of an Effective SGC Openness Positive Synergy Continuous personal devt Effective Communi -cation Transparency Good Leadership Cooperation & Trust Clear & shared goals
10. Functions of SGC The SGC determines the general policies of the school on: Students welfare, discipline & wellbeing Development & implementation of SIP Monitoring & evaluation of the SIP implementation Reporting progress of SIP implementation to the SDS & the community
11. Limitations of SGC in the exercise of authority It shall not directly manage the schools as that is the responsibility of the school head The power and responsibility of the SGC shall be lodged in the SGC acting as one body and not with the individual members It shall act through the school head the conduct of its affairs It shall not act on its own in any financial transactions involving school It shall not enter into or be bound by any contractual transactions for and in behalf of the school unless authorized for such purpose in its Constitution and bylaws
12. Roles of the School Head as the CEO in the SGC Implement the SIP Implement the policies Provide accurate & timely information
13. Role of the SGC Participates in the development of SIP Generates resources to support the implementation of SIP Assists the school in installing the Monitoring and Evaluation Systen for school performance Organizes committees to support the school head & staff in the implementation of SIP
14. RELATIONSHIPS: The SGC can make representation to LGUs & other stakeholder groups to get the resources needed in the implementation of SIP The SGC & the school staff must exist with mutual trust & respect & share responsibilities in the continuous improvement of learning outcomes The willingness of the School Heads to involve parents & community members for the school tasks & in decision making provides a necessary foundation for all schoolfamily-community partnerships
15. Summary Points: SGC provides an opportunity to develop a partnership between the school & community to improve the learning & well-being of all students The role of the SGC is to assist in planning & setting direction for the school The role of the school head is to provide the day to day management of the school The positive & respectful relationship between the SGC & school head will be essential to the success of the school Clear understanding of the rules for membership, roles & procedures must be developed
16. Summary Points: The SGC must work for the welfare and well-being of all students It shall not act on its own in any financial transactions involving schools It shall not enter into or be bound by any contractual transactions for and in behalf of the school unless authorized for such purpose in its Constitutions and by-laws
17. Believe you are special, Realize what a unique and shining star that you are. No One who came before you, No One that lives today, And No One that comes tomorrow Cam walk, talk, move and think like YOU.
18. I believe that God place each of us in a post or structure to help co-create a word of love. In His own time, He will unfold the paths He has planned for each of us to explore. I believe that people are gift of God and each of us can empower people who come within our orbit of influence to the greatness that each of us is larger than ourselves, due to choice and learning.
19. I believe that life is a gift and each of us will account for how we sustain, develop and use our talents passionately and we drawing the same commitment from others through modeling. I believe that together, we can rise to every expectation. It is our choice never to be shaken by the dust of despair, trash of frustrations and the burden of Ifs and what could be.
20. To be of service to others is a holy field, for we touch lives and help shape others everyday, systematically In meaningful situations. Let us all savor always the blessings and equal the challenges of every moment. Just remember, nobody wins until we all do.