UNIT 9:THE POST OFFICE
1. equip (v) (with) [i'kwip] :
2. advanced (a) [d'v:nst]:
3. spacious (a) ['speis]
4. well-trained (a) [wel 'treind]
5. staff (n) [st:f]: 6. thoughtful (a): ['o:tful]: kind: 7. courteous (a) ['k:tjs] : polite8. parcel (n) ['p:sl]: 9. surface mail (n) ['s:fis'meil]: letters that sent by road, rail or sea, not by air10. express (a) very fast[iks'pres]-> Express Mail Service (EMS): [iks'pres meil 's:vis]
11. competitive rate (n):
12. transfer (n,v) ['trnsf:] : move st/sb from one place, jobto another: 13. speedy (a) ['spi:di]
14. secure (a) [si'kju]
15. Messenger Call Service (n) ['mesind k:l 's:vis]
16. notify (v) ['noutifai]
17. recipient (n) [ri'sipint]: a person who receives sth18. facsimile (n) [fk'simli]19. transmit (v) [trnz'mit]
-> transmission (n) [trnz'min]20. graphic (n) [grfik]21. press (n): [pres]
22. subscribe (v) [sb'skraib]: pay money regularly to receive or use sthB. SPEAKING
1. clerk (n) 2. customer (n) 3. document (n) 4. fee (n) 5. Flower Telegram Service (n) 6. greetings card (n) 7. install (v) 8. registration (n) 9. telephone line (n) [kl:k]
['flau 'teligrm 's:vis]
1. capacity (n) [k'psti]
2. subscriber (n) [sb'skraib]
3. upgrade (v) [p'greid]
4. fixed (a) [fikst]
5. rural network ['rurl 'netw:k]
6. digit (n) ['didit]
7. meet (v): do or satisfy what is needed or what sb asks for
8. demand (n) [di'm:nd]
9. commune (n) ['kmju:n]
10. communal (a) ['kmjunl]
1. arrogant (a) ['rgnt]
2. attitude (n) ['titju:d]
3. describe (v) [dis'kraib]
4. director (n) [di'rekt]
5. dissatisfaction (n) [di,stis'fkn]
6. pickpocket (n) ['pikpkit]
7. price (n) [prais]
8. punctuality (n) [,pktu'lti]
9. quality (n) ['kwliti]
11. reasonable (a) ['ri:znbl]
12. resident (n) ['rezidnt]
13. satisfaction (n) [,stis'fkn]
14. security (n) [si'kjurti]
The opening hours of the post office. Early / on time. Too late / too early
The quality of the equipmentGood / well- equipped / modern . Bad / poor quality / needs repairing / backward
The security conditions of the post office. Good security conditionNo one keeps motorcycles or bicycles / pickpockets / Bad security condition
The attitude of the staff. Polite / helpful / smiling
Rude / arrogant / cold
The prices of the services. Low / reasonable(Too) high / unreasonable
The punctuality of delivery of letters and newspapersAlways punctual / letters are never lostNever punctual / sometimes letters and newspapers are lost
1. Heading: address and date of writing
2. Greeting: Dear.,3. Opening: Give reason for writing
- I have been using...................................
- Now I am writing .............................
+ in response to (s p li) your call for customers to express their satisfaction and dissatisfaction
+ to express my satisfaction and dissatisfaction with some of the services offered by your post office.
+ to tell you how satisfied and /dissatisfied I am with
+ to tell you that I am satisfied/ dissatisfied with
+ I am impressed by ..
+ I am satisfied with
+ I have no complaint about .
Conjunctions (First/ second/ finally/ Moreover/ furthermore/ in addition / however
* (However, your post office has some things that may make your customers unsatisfied.)
+ I am dissatisfied with ...
+ I complain about .
Conjunctions: c. Express your hope to the changes to the services- I highly appreciate the services youve given.
- I hope that your post office will offer better and better services (will be made a better place)
-Yours faithfully, .
- Sign your name
E. LANGUAGE FOCUSGRAMMAR
1) DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
Menh e quan he xac nh khong the bo i v neu khong co no, cau se
khong ro ngha.
Ex: a) The woman is my sister. She is standing over there.
---> The woman who is standing over there is my sister.
b) The man is my teacher. She saw him at the post office yesterday.
c) She works for a company. It produces cars.
d) The girl lives in our neighbourhood. Her parents are working in a post office.
* CHU Y:
(1) WHO, WHOM va WHICH co the c thay bang THAT
(2) WHOM co the c thay bang WHO
Tom tat cong thc:DANH T
2) NON-DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
Menh e nay co the c lc bo (khi o cau van con ro ngha) va thng
c tach khoi menh e chnh bang dau phay ,. Ta dung menh e quan he
khong han nh khi:
Trc danh t thng co : this, that, these, those, my, his, her va danh t rieng.
Ex: My father is a doctor. He is fifty years old.
---> My father, who is fifty years old, is a doctor.
Mr Brown is a very nice teacher. We studied English with him.
* CHU Y: KHONG dung THAT trong menh e nay.
Exercise1: Join the sentences, using relative pronouns
1. The meeting was interesting. I went to it.
2. I like the dress. She was wearing it.
3. We dont like the stories. They dont have happy endings.
4. The milk was very good. We had it this morning.
5. Thank you very much for the gift. You gave it to me last time.
6. The book was too expensive. I wanted to buy it.
7. The girl is really intelligent. We admire her
break into (v)
first language (n)
war (n) ['br:d]
k hn nht
hng ty bc
ngi theo ch ngha ha bnh
ti xy dng
k cp gi lm khch
bi bn n
UNIT 10:NATURE IN DANGER
I. Before you read
cheetah (n) ['ti:t]
scatter (v) ['skt]
estimate (v) ['estimeit]
panda (n) ['pnd]II. While you reading VOCABULARY
1. the human race (n) ['hju:mn'reis]: all people, considered together as a group: 2. species (n) ['spi:i:z]3. exist (v) : [ig'zist] to be present in a place or situation4. planet (n): ['plnit] the world5. human being (s) (n) ['hju:mn 'bi:i] 6. affect (v) ['fekt]7. agriculture (n) ['griklt]8. pollutant (n) [p'lu:tnt]9. respect (n) [ri'spekt]
10. habit (n) ['hbit]11. result in sth : [ri'zlt] lead to12. consequence (n) ['knsikwns]13. rare (a) [re]: not common14. be in danger (exp) ['deind]
15. extinct (a) : no longer existing16. endangered (a) [in'deind(r)d]17. protect(v) 18. prohibit (v) [pr'hibit] forbid, prevent19. destruction (n) [dis'trkn]20. interference (n) [,int'firns]
21. survive (v): continue to live or exist22. offspring (n) [':fspri]23. co-exist (v) : [kou ig'zist] : exist togetherB. SPEAKING
1. threaten (v) ['retn]
2. fur (n) [f:]
3. skin (n) [skin]
4. pet (n) [pet]
5. hunt (v) [hnt]
6. capture (v) ['kpt]
7. recreation (n) [,rekri'ein]8. cut down (v) [kt daun]
9. wood (n) [wud]
10. fertilizer (n) ['f:tilaiz]
11. pesticide (n) ['pestisaid]12. cultivation (n) [,klti'vein]13. discharge (v) [dis't:d]14. discourage (v) [dis'krid]15. encourage (v) [in'krid]
A: It is said in the newspaper/ on TV that people are killing endangered animals for fur, skin and foodB: Thats why endangered animals are destroyed.
A: What should we do to protect endangered animals?
B: I think killing endangered animals for fur, skin and food should be banned.
A: It is said in the newspaper/ on TV that _______
B: Thats why _____________
A: What should we do to protect __________?
B: I think ___________
1. preserve (v) [pri'z:v]
2. contain (v)
3. scenic feature (n) ['si:nik 'fi:t]
4. approximately (adv): nearly5. devastating (a) ['devsteiti] : destructi