- 1. Past PerfectTense back menu next
2. regular - irregular
- play- play ed , open-open ed , close clos ed
- wash- wash ed , stop- stopp ed , ask - ask ed
- want want ed , plant- plant ed , translate translat ed , need - need ed
back menu next 3. . Irregular Verbs.
. back menu next 4. Past Perfect Tense back menu next Had + Past Participle (3 ) Regular Verbs HadopenedHadplayed Hadclosed Hadpainted Hadreached Irregular Verbs HadbeenHadseen Hadgone Hadcome Hadbrought 5. When we use Past Perfect Tense
- By 5 oclock he had already finished the work.
- By that time they had already reached the village.
- The passenger came to the railway station when the train had already gone.
- When I came to Moscow my friend had already left for St. Petersburg.
back menu next 6. Learn the Grammar Rule:
- Past Perfect ( I had done ) - Present Perfect ( I have done ).
- I'm not hungry. I wasn't hungry.
- I've just had lunch. I'd just had lunch.
- The house is dirty. We haven't The house was dirty. We hadn't
- cleaned it for weeks. cleaned it for weeks.
- Past Perfect Past Simple:
- -Was Mary ready to go to the cinema when you came to her?
- - Yes, she had been ready by the moment.
- - Jack wasn't in when I phoned him. He was in his office.
- - Jack had just got home when I phoned him. He had been in his office.
back menu next 7. Present Perfect Tense:
back menu next 8. Study the Following Examples
- He had already fixed his TV set before I came.
- They had returned from New York before September 11.
- We reached the port by the evening.
- By this time yesterday he finished reading the book.
- When I came to Sochi they have left for Moscow.
- By the end of June he had paid all his debts.
- They had discussed all the problems before he came.
- When he came to the airport the plane had already started off.
- He already learnt to drive the car before they bought a new one.
- We have already be hungry before lunch was ready.
- He had already played football before it began to rain.
back menu next right wrong 9. Interrogative Sentences inPast Perfect Tense back menu next Ihad finishedreading the book. I Had finishedreading the book ? Yes, I had No, I hadnt Yes, you had No, you hadnt 10. Negative Form
back menu next 11. Have Some Practice This witchwas cooking broth at six oclock. And this witchhadalreadycooked broth by 7 oclock. back menu next 18-57 12. back menu next This pair was dancing when I saw them at the party. And this pair hadalreadystopped dancing before I saw them. 13. This Pirate was dancing jig when the captain saw him. And this Pirate hadalready danced jig before the time the captain saw him . back menu next 14. This group was dancingcancanwhen I entered the hall. And this group hadalreadydanced cancan beforeI enteredthe hall. back menu next